IF TODAY IS ANY INDICATION OF MY READINESS FOR LEADVILLE... we in big trouble mister.
Let me count the ways:
1. My sleep patterns have been stinky. Stenchy actually. Like a child I've been binge watching a ridiculous show every night this week... staying up late only to rise with the birds every day at 530. That aint gonna cut it bro. Sleep = speed.
2. My pacing, ugh. Rookie at best. We had 4 major climbs today. I set PRs on the first. Dangled off the back on the second. The third... I was pedaling squares while vultures circled.
3. My food. Well, I wasn't hungry. But dawgawn if that VMO didn't cramp so hard I nearly fell off my rig. The climbs were large, the sun was burning. I knew this yesterday... no salt tabs?... c'mon man get, it, togetha!
Was there anything good? Only a fool doesn't find the goodness to go with the badness.
1. I rode with a Camelbak for the first time in years. And, it was great! So easy to sip while the terrain is rough. And... and!... I parceled it out perfectly.
2. The new Maxxis Ikons: rad. Great traction, super cornering.
3. My spider-sense-MTB-oneness is coming back. Yep, faster downhill every ride.
4... that 4th climb. Only Chris and I did it. It was after I cramped. After Charlie threw me 2 Salt Stick tabs. And I felt great. There's a lot of confidence to gain by continuing to ride and work through the challenges.
Leadville will present a lot of problems. I found 3 today. Easy to address.
I got 8 weeks to find 'em all.
Start to Finish