REMEMBER WAY BACK TO YESTERDAY WHEN I BRAGGED ABOUT HOW GRITTY WE (YOU AND ME) ARE? Well, check out my morning.
1. Still super exhausted from Saturday's Rock Cobbler.
2. Leave house 4 minutes late.
3. Get 5 minutes down the road and cleats will not engage... Tell me why??????... oh, yeah, Thursday I crammed them full of muddy clay and it hardened in there.
4. Back home for 20 minutes of surgery.
5. Leave again... now 30 minutes late.
6. Hustle, and start making all the short cut calculations... cut through golf course, skip Melinda, make light at Marguerite...
7. As I'm rolling past Rock N Road I see a group turn the corner. It's just the right size I can't tell if it's the A group or the B... but, I miss the light and have to wait.
8. Catch Dan on bike trail. A or B, I gasp. A. Ugh (A's are chasing B's... and I'm escrewed).
You may be wondering why didn't I stay in bed to begin with... it was 39 and dark and I was tired?
Because of that previous post.
Why didn't I go back to bed when I came home vs shoe surgery?
Because of that darn post.
Why didn't I just do my own ride vs chasing all morning?
Because of that post.
Why do we do what we do?
Because we've got grit!
... and hope. I was hoping I'd make up the 4 minutes, I was hoping the cleat fix would be quick, I was hoping I'd make all the lights, I was hoping I'd catch... and eventually I did catch Dan and then my neighbor Mike who'd flatted... and so, Mike and I and Isaac finished it up strong, and then Mike and I rolled home and caught up on life.
... another great ride!
(yes, this is worth your time)